Monday, March 20, 2006

Better Life

I just happened to "wake up" in a place I have never been to, a extremely weird place to me, as all I could see...
in here, aside from a machine which is almost 3 times taller than me, are another hundreds set of machines with the same height. "Hello, anybody home?" "The game is over, no more hide and seek!" I am walking around before a little old man suddenly pop up in front of me. *Yell* "What the...!"
"My name is Arvin Infinity, sorry for frightened you, I mean no harm." "You are now in my spaceship. I am a volunteer of The Better Life Association in planet YPU 290. My job is to give a better life to the chosen one on different planets, from different galaxies...and you are one of the lucky fellow. Congratulations!"
"Thanks...but what do you mean by giving me a better life? What are you gonna do on me?" "Hmm...relax, the transformation is a real success, everything is perfectly done! And, I am just gonna send you back home."
"Pardon, an transformation!" "Oui, and I assume that you are delighted about it...as you can no longer feel cold, hunger or pain...and away from any kinds of disease, sorrow or vice. Moreover, your brain is now funtioning as effecient as a computer with as much knowledge as Wikipedia."
"Hang on, Ar..." "Arvin." "Yes Arvin, although it is a great honour to be chosen and as talented as the fellows that introduced the Theory of Relativity and Theory of Evolution, plus that drew the Mona Lisa, plus that invented the Light Bulb. You know, it does not count as better life to me. It is unacceptable to get power by putting my fingers into the socket instead of having food or drinks, have no feelings but all the machinery stuff in my body. I wanna use my own hands, my own potential to create my own future."
"But...but..." "Well, I guess you can choose someone else that would appreciate your kindness or mercy." "But...but...alright, there is no point for me to continue this conversation if you do not wish to. Nevertheless, you can contact us with the device I am gonna give you if you change your mind. You have 604 800 seconds to think about it. After that, you lose the opportunity. Do you understand?" "Sure." "So, may I send you back now?" "Yes, I am ready. However, I want you to know, it is a great pleasure to meet you, Arvin." "Same here, my friend...goodbye!"
That is my choice. How about you? How would you define a better life?

No comments: